Although some dogs take to water and boats without hesitation, other dogs need a little encouragement and guidance.
Mountain Hooves & Paws’ “On the Water” program is designed for these dogs. We will provide you with steps to build the confidence your dog/s will need to ride in guideboats, canoes, or larger boats. We’ll help you teach them cues so they can relax in the boats, exit only when asked, and handle distracting situations such as other dogs, wildlife, and higher use areas.
Our programs go at you and your dog’s own rate – starting wherever you are. Your dog could be a total newbie to water & boats, or even have had a bad experience in the past. We do ask that you have some prerequisites in place as this is a training program for dogs who are comfortable with a variety of basic behaviors.
See these two videos for examples of our training program:
Locations: Lake Clear/Saranac Lake Region in the Adirondacks
Program Schedule: Please check Mountain Hooves & Paws Group Classes for details about upcoming classes and to register.
For more information: Please email Kinna or Gene at: email@example.com or call: 518-637-4857
Outline of Program
– Wearing a Life Jacket
– Basic Swimming (With or Without Life Jacket)
– Getting Into and Out of a Boat
– Settling in a Boat
– Stimulus Control & Putting Behaviors on Cue
– Using Cues as Information
– On the Water with One Person
– On the Water with Two People
– Settling in the Boat With Distractions (Other Dogs, Wildlife, High Use Areas, Other People)
– Clicker Training Basics
– Comfort on Leash (Loose Leash Walking)
– Off Leash Recall (As Needed)
– Cue Proficiency: Sit, Lie Down, Relax, and Stay (Level 1 Distractions)
– Basic Understanding of Lying Down on a Mat
If you are unable to attend our program classes, we have designed an alternative. We can train your dog while you are at work! We offer day training options which include at least one transfer session (so you can learn what your dog knows) for all our outdoor programs.