Class: Online Basic Manners Group Class
Where: Video Conferencing Online Class
When: Weekly Group Video Class (Saturday morning at 11:30am)
Duration: 6 Weeks *Open Enrollment – Start Any Week and Continue for 6 Consecutive Weeks*
Cost: $120 Without Gear / $150 Including Training Booklet, Calming Signals Book, Treat Pouch, & Clickers
Basic Manners is a six week long class for anyone who would like an introduction to foundation skills. We’ll teach you how to train clearly and cleanly with the use of a “clicker” marker signal. This class is all about positive reinforcement and rewards. With this approach, you will see your dog grow in his or her focus and confidence.
Dogs will be introduced to basic skills and learn how to learn through clicker training (or using “yes”). This can be used as a first class or a refresher.
- Offering attention and focus
- Touch a Target (used for coming when called and greeting people nicely)
- Impulse Control (leave it)
- Settle on a Mat
- Beginning Loose Leash walking
- Clicker training mechanics
- Dog Calming Signals
- How and where to reward
- How and when to increase criteria (ask the dog to do more or work harder)
- Management strategies to use while training is taking place
This class is appropriate for dogs 4 months or older who need to learn the basics.
- Our class size is small (no more than 4 dogs/class). As a result, you and your dog will receive individual attention during lessons.
- We do not expect class dogs to be at the same level or have the same background in learning. We are happy to accommodate the differences.
- We teach humans as well as dog with fully positive, encouraging methods. The classes are designed to enjoyable as well as fun!
- Our group classes are a commitment to your dog as well as the other participants in the class.
How Does the Online Approach Work?
Once a week we’ll meet in a virtual classroom to discuss common training questions (like we’d do during an in-person class). These lessons will last up to an hour depending upon the number of registrants. In these lessons, we’ll watch you work with your own dog and give you feedback as well as ideas for progression in your training.